Monday 11 January 2010

Visual Studio 2008 crash using Reporting Services 2008 charts

Frustrating day today - with a few techology niggles (see above). Anyway this means I can post about it in the hope that it saves someone else a lot of trouble. The major problem I had was with Visual Studio 2008 crashing without warning or error. The first occasion led to me losing work. On both occasions it happened after adding a standard line chart to a Reporting Services report. After checking the Event Log I found the following entry:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3603 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7225795E) (80131506)


Did some Googling around and discovered many people getting a similar (though not identical) error message. The answer is to download a hotfix here. So far this seems to have done the trick with no crashes. Note that this isn't included in Visual Studio SP1 or SQL Server 2008 SP1- so service packing won't help (it is in fact a .NET hotfix, from what I can tell) . I would strongly suggest applying the hotfix for anyone planning to do graph/chart work in Reporting Services 2008...

No comments: